GOLD AFTERNOON FIX (1990)
Tracks (click a title for details)
|1.||Pharaoh * (3:56)||/|
|2.||Metropolis (4:46)||/ / /|
|3.||Terra Nova Cain (5:12)||/|
|5.||Monday Morning (2:46) (not on LP except in Australia)||/|
|6.||Russian Autumn Heart (4:08) (sung by Marty Willson-Piper)||/|
|8.||You're Still Beautiful (3:09)||/ /|
|10.||Transient (4:26) (sung by Peter Koppes)||/|
|11.||Laughing (4:37) (not on LP except in Australia)||/|
|12.||Fading Away (3:39)||/|
|13.||Grind (6:09)||/ /|
* The word "Pharaoh" is misspelled (as "Pharoah") on all Arista releases, but corrected on the 2005 EMI reissue.
Steve Kilbey - Vocals, Bass, Keyboards
Marty Willson-Piper - Guitar, Lead Vocal on "Russian Autumn Heart"
Peter Koppes - Guitar, Lead Vocal on "Transient"
Richard Ploog - Drums
Special Guest Artist - Marilyn Donadt on the Wing
Produced by Waddy Wachtel & The Church
Engineered by Shep Lonsdale
Assistant Engineer: Joe Schiff
Mixed by Waddy Wachtel & Shep Lonsdale
Recorded and Mixed at Ocean Way Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA
Pre-Production/U.S. - S.I.R., Los Angeles
Pre-Production/Australia - Fat Boy Studios, Sydney
Mastered by Greg Fulginiti at Artisan Sound Recorders, Los Angeles
Photography: John Halpern
Art Direction & Design: Maude Gilman
Michael J. Lembo/Jill Christiansen
Mike's Artist Management, New York
P.O. Box 418
Prince Street Station
New York, N.Y. 10012-418
Releases (rev. Jan. 24, 2019)
- LP - Mushroom Records TVL 93321 (RML 53321) (Australia) - April 9, 1990
- This is the only vinyl release with all 13 tracks found on the CD version.
- LP - Arista AL-8579 (USA)
- LP - Arista AL-8579 (Canada)
- LP - Arista R171667 (Canada)
- LP - Arista/BMG 210 541 (UK and Europe) - With record labels misprinted as "Gold Afternoon Pix"
- LP - Arista/BMG Ariola 1508067 (Brazil)
- LP - Arista 28(0131)00029 (Colombia)
- LP - Arista 209 441 (Spain)
- LP - Arista 210541 (5C) [on sleeve] / 210 541 [on disc labels] (Spain)
- LP - Real Gone Music RGM1016 (USA) - Expected June 20, 2020 - Record Store Day release - Gold Vinyl
- CASS - Arista [no catalog number] (USA Promo) - "Revised Master" - Photo
- CASS - Arista [no catalog number] (UK Promo) - "CHROME" - Photo
- CASS - Mushroom TVC 93321 (RMC 53321) (Australia) - April 9, 1990 - BASF Chrome, Dolby
- CASS - Arista AC-8579 (USA) - clear cassette with silver text - BASF Chrome, Dolby
Variant 1: Duplicated by Sonopress USA, with Sonopress "S" logo on cassette
Variant 2: No Sonopress "S" logo on cassette
- CASS - Arista AC-8579 (USA) - Columbia House Record Club Edition - with "CRC"
- CASS - Arista AC 8579 C171667 (USA) - BMG Direct Marketing Club Edition - Chrome, Dolby
- CASS - Arista AC 8579 (Canada) - black cassette with silver text - Dolby
- CASS - Arista/BMG Direct C101890 (USA)
- CASS - Arista 410 541 (UK and Europe)
- CASS - Arista 410541 (7A) [on J-card spine] / 410 541 [on labels] (Spain)
- CASS - Arista 410541 (Italy)
- CASS - Hed Arzi Records/Arista 410541-2 (Israel)
- CASS - Music Market 0732 (Poland) - Unofficial Release - Dolby B HX Pro
- CASS - Musicals MSC 1521 (Thailand) - Unofficial Release
- CD - Mushroom TVD 93321 (D 53321) (Australia) - April 9, 1990
- CD - Mushroom MUSH32379.2 (Australia)
- CD - Arista ARCD-8579 (USA)
- Matrix: ARCD8576 W.O. 13981-2 MADE BY DISCTRONICS
- CD - Arista ARCD-8579 D171667 (USA) - BMG Direct Marketing Club Edition
- With "Manufactured in U.S.A. by Disctronics, Inc." and "Mfd. for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc. under License" printed on disc.
- CD - Arista ARCD-8579, DIDY 006786 (USA)
- With "DIDY 006786" printed on right side of disc - Matrix: DIDX-006786 2
- CD - Arista ARCD-8579 (Canada)
- CD - Arista 260 541 (UK and Europe)
- CD - BMG Ariola 260541 (Germany)
- CD - Arista BVCA-3 (Japan) - May 21, 1990 - with obi - includes lyrics
- CD - Arista BVCA-3 (Japan Promo) - with obi - includes lyrics
- CD - Mushroom D19800 (Australia) - 1993 Reissue - "Mushroom Midprice Masters" series
- 2CD - EMI 7243 4 77610 2 7 (Australia) - July, 2005 - Reissue, Remastered
Memorabilia courtesy of Naomi Diamond/Mod Lang Achives
Repackage designed by Rachel Gutek @ guppyart
Repackage coordinated by Vicky Vogiatzoglou
Remastered by Don Bartley at Studios 301, Sydney, Australia
Bonus Disc Tracks (click a title for details)
- Much Too Much (3:52) – /
- Take It Back (4:04)
- Desert (2:50) – /
- Forgotten Reign (4:21) (sung by Peter Koppes) –
- Hunter (4:25) –
- Dream (2:57) (sung by Peter Koppes)
- Ride Into The Sunset (4:32) ** –
- You Got Off Light (3:30) –
- The Feast (4:49) – /
- Metropolis (Acoustic) (4:19) –
- Grind (Acoustic) (5:38) –
The uncut version appears on the "Russian Autumn Heart" CD single.
- 2CD - EMI Music Australia 5099991817921 (Australia) - 2011 - cardboard sleeve
- Includes 16-page booklet of photos with extensive liner notes by Marty Willson-Piper.
Bonus tracks on Disc 2 identical to EMI 7243 4 77610 2 7 above.
The cover photos (which continue on to the back cover) are actually composite, multiple-image works by photographer John Halpern (info). Each band member appears twice in their respective photo bar: once in a close-up portrait, and again somewhere in the background (Peter on the observatory balcony on the left, Steve in the distance to the right, Richard on the beach on the back cover, and Marty also on the back cover in an upstairs window), which are more visible on an LP cover.
Some promo copies of the Arista Records LP version included a Gold Afternoon Fix Press Release.
Reviews & Comments
PROMO BOX SETS
Several box sets of Gold Afternoon Fix were issued as promotional items:
- USA Promo (Arista 8579/9944) contains the CD (ARCD-8579) and Cassette (AC-8579) of Gold Afternoon Fix plus CD5 Megalopolis (ASCD-9944).
- Australia Promo contains the CD [Mushroom TVD 93321 (D 53321)] and Cassette [Mushroom TVC 93321 (RMC 53321)] of Gold Afternoon Fix. Cover
Includes a write-up on the process of gold price fixing on the inside of the lid.
- Europe Promo 1 contains the CD of Gold Afternoon Fix plus a watch. Photo
Includes a short biography of the band and a write-up on the process of gold price fixing.
- Europe Promo 2 contains the CD of Gold Afternoon Fix plus a bag of chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil.
A softcover book of Starfish guitar tablature was published:
Cherry Lane Music CL7078 (USA) 23.2cm x 30.4cm, 80 pp. - with poster